July 30, 2004 evening

The rest of my trip with Charlie will have to be written from memory, as I stopped journaling after the entry just before this one. I'm not sure why.
I am writing this on May 21, 2009.


Halifax left us looking forward to our journey home.
Before we left Nova Scotia, however, Charlie wanted to visit Peggy's Cove, a little maudlin, but I played along. As we rolled into the sleepy town off the highway, evening was just starting to set in and so we stopped first at the memorial "rock" (best name I can come up with for this place) that honored the victims of the Swissair flight that went down - 229 people died here. It was a little ...appropriate? ...that we were there just as the sun was setting, because in this beautiful place, with the sun shining - it would be hard to imagine such tragedy.

But the dimly lit beach area made us very solemn and the rock or rocks? were set up in a way that made it look like this place was waiting for someone, someones... I do remember that the rocks were very large (or was it one rock?).

When Charlie had had enough silent time, we headed back to the van and drove into the town (proper) of Peggy's Cove. We stopped at the souvenir-slash-post office-slash-restaurant building and parked just in time to see the most beautiful sunset I'd seen in years, maybe decades.




Charlie wanted to get some postcards and mail it there so that the postage stamp would be stamped "Peggy's Cove" - and he sent one to everyone he knew. Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

No comments:

Post a Comment