July 23, 2004


We ate a pub dinner in St. John's last night then walked around a bit - we decided to forego our campsite (already paid for) and instead, drive up to Cape Spear, again - more like Cape Fear!! Charlie parked the van and we slept in the lot overlooking the ocean and the cliffs. The night ended with Charlie finding out that Sophie was still in the hospital, mainly from a B-12 deficiency ...and then he called her in her hospital room. She will stay until they see some improvement. Charlie (I can see him coming down the stairs now, from the cliff that the lighthouse is on) has gone to purchase a book on resettled communities.

He just likes to own things.
We had a bad tiff last night but they all seem to stem from me making him feel like I'm telling him what to do...or that I'm not validating the good things he brings to the relationship. Despite our nattering at eachother, I really think we are good together - we most often bring eachother up and with him, right now, I don't feel that going above and beyond my station in life is impossible.

He is back to the van now and I realize that all he really wants is what most guys want - to feel like they are better than or as good as their fathers, and to feel like we look up to them and approve of 80% of their "stuff".

I am sitting on a rock as I write this and the ocean is in front of me and Charlie is heading over... this moment, this is peace, tranquility. I rarely stop to enjoy it. Charlie is now taking a picture of me and has commanded me NOT to look at him as I write this. The irises grow wild here and are so beautiful. One thing Charlie and I have managed to agree on is - we could both live here.


No comments:

Post a Comment