July 31, 2004 on our way home

We drove back into Halifax and then started our journey home.

The few things I can remember about making our way back to Toronto are not that interesting in themselves, but I do remember a sustained peace between Charlie and I - maybe because we knew we'd be going back to being us ...to having to deal with eachother or letting eachother go ...because we COULD do that, at home, where it was safe.
Here all we had was eachother.

We had brunch the next day in Quebec city - and Quebec city is beautiful. The old part is so twisty and windy and it scared the crap out of me but I loved it. I loved how it was obvious that a place could give its people their character just as much as people can give a place its character.
Quebec was old and hard and difficult to traverse but it was beautiful and unique...and permanent.

Something I wondered about Charlie and I.
The bloom had long been off the rose by this time, and as I watched him now, when he didn't know I was looking at him, I wondered if he'd thought the same thing about us.

The next day: Excitement in my belly as we hit the stretch of 401 that I recognized.
Excitement and a sweet sick feeling - I can now see the comfort of the desert island dilemma...
the road trip, the shipwreck, the arranged marriage, the incarceration, the fleeing and the lonliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment