July 25, 2004 Bedtime

So much to catch up on - so, where did I leave off? Friday we looked around St. John's some more, got an oil change, rode our bikes and I insisted (when Charlie the tri-athlete wanted to ride the bikes up Signal Hill) that we dismount and go to pick up the van. We seem to start fights like a fire throws sparks off.. but we're getting better at making friends sooner, afterwards.

Sue Sue, you would love St. John's and Newfoundland, the kind of house you're looking for is all over this province. We finished off Friday with dinner at a good local cheap place and I had Fish & Chips (fresh cod). The night before, I had pan-fried cod - very good.

We woke up Saturday morning in Butler Pot - what a cute place! I could hear the loons calling. I feel pretty loony right now, I'm discovering how accurate that Astrology for the Soul book was. I DO always need to be right! It's why Charlie seems to react to me like fire to fuel... I'm practising the art of letting go. On Friday, when we went up to Signal Hill and then over to Fort Amherst overlooking St. John's harbour, I truly became envious of muffin-head and could only think, how lucky she is to come from such a beautiful place.

On Saturday we went back into St. John's and finished touring the city. Charlie bought me a beautiful necklace and earrings set made with lapis lazuli stone, very appropriate for me as it is supposed to aid in meditation and opening up your third eye; also good for intuition and something .... obviously not improving your memory.

I wanted to get going Saturday so that we wouldn't get to Terra Nova late - supposed to be a beautiful Provincial Park and huge ...the Trans Canada goes right through if for a while.

With St. John's finally behind us, I prepared some steaks for dinner when we got to Terra Nova and broke open the bottle of wine that I got along the way, at a gas station. I love that! ..that you could pick up your wine while you're filling up your car.

Looking back so far at the week I have been away, I cannot fathom, with all we've done, that I've only missed 5 days of work. It feels like I've been away for months. Our steak and wine dinner went very well as I ended up drinking most of the wine. The Argentinian wine did the trick. I became a lot friendlier! With no water or an advil before passing out, I was very achy the next morning. I walked to the bathroom very early in the morning. Near the bathroom (from somewhere in the bushes) a growling sound was present - I immediately thought, "bear!" - then after pausing, waiting, I realized it was some freak that was snoring way too loud from inside his tent.

Sunday morning was a sleep in. Laundry, reading the paper (St. John's "the Telegram") and drinking coffee. Charlie and I need to get better at having longer stretches of peacetime because when we argue it really scares me. I will fill you in on more of Sunday tomorrow but one memory from the day - I was roasting marshmallows after dinner and I got a really good 'skin' (when you roast the outside, pull the skin off and continue to roast the inside left-over)... and I said out loud "now THAT'S life - a roasting marshmallow". Very simple. Very easy to live by. Charlie and I sat together in front of the fire - we still had a spat close to bedtime - but we are, as of this moment, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment